Search This Blog

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Eden of The East

Sigh. Well. I watched the second movie. And I had a huge amount of-
Oh wait. I should give more detail huh? Haha silly me, I was just so hung up and my emotions went all over the place after watching this movie. Lalala story time story time! STORY. TIME.
About a month ago, I was siting in my bed, awoken by my cat at 8:30. After feeding him, and realizing I can't go back to sleep that easily, I chose to go through some of the anime on ON DEMAND. And lo and below, I pass by a title called eden of the east.
Huh. Where have I heard this name before? I looked through my dusty filing cabinet called a brain, and finally I hit the jackpot. There was a movie at katsucon premiering with that name!!!! I still had the flier with me too. It looked so interesting but I didn't have a chance to see it. Too much goes on at cons and it can make the head spin XD but I have never been one to keep up with the mainstream. It felt exciting to me to watch a very recent anime, so immediately I chose to watch the episode. There wasabout four if the episodes on there, meaning I could a big portion of it. Lol. Man. Was I in for a series.
As the tv blazed, filled with color, and sound spewed from the speakers, I watched a modern opening with a very unusual song. The colors splashed all around, then characters appeared. The beginning of the actual show took place in Washington, dc. In america, which would explain why I would see much diversity within the first five minutes.. and no japanese people until witness a cute girl watching the white house. And suddenly, there usa cute girl main character on the scene.
And then a naked main character with a gun and a phone shows up.
And the show truly begins.
Eden of the east is an anime about a man named takizawa who meets a girl named saki. By chance, causing his and her world to intertwine forever. Takizawa has wiped his memory, remembering nothing of him being a noblesse oblige. He is a part of a game, in which (SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO JUST STARTED)contestants must use one billion yen to make japan a better place (SPOILER ENDS HERE)
this anime is unique because its rather unconventional. The girl character saki, while still somewhat dependent, tends to contemplate in a profound way that makes me think about life. She is also struggling concerning dependency, which I can relate to. While I also find how she chose to believe in her guts that believed takizawa is a good person admirable, I find it even more admirable how she does not act before thinking in many situations. She understands that there are many mysteries about him, and that what he figures out he js not revealing. She immediately chooses to figure things out herself, and I really respect that in a woman. Its smart. Her outlook on how adults view the younger generation also makes me respect her.
Now, on to the main character. Akira takizawa, the Hawt Hawt HAWT eye candy main character of the series heh. I absolutely adore takizawa because despite the mystery surrounding him, he doesn't make it a big deal. Heda pretty personable guy, happy go lucky, and calm. He makes bad jokes, smiles a lot, and... well he doesn't have anything to be embarrassed about. I mean, he frodoing first appearance was NAKED. Needless to say, he has a good sense if justice and what is right and wrong, even in a japan that is portrayed as corrupt. I like him a lot, and almost everyone can see the potential he has :)
The animation is absolutely beautiful: its a recent anime, so the style is similar many up and coming animus of the twenty first century. Shadowing it distinguished, coloring is modern, yet it has a simplistic feel. NOT a shoujo Manga style. No huge huge eyes or sparkle things, not too showy, but at the same time catches the eye. I like this style that seems to be the most popular. It makes me proud to know that kids today can appreciate the simple style. What's more respectful is that they take advantage of the technology we have today to enhance the style rather than overwhelm it eden of the east features a lot of cg involving very normal actions, like zooming across a hallway or a car driving across town. Though I personally felt there was more cg in the beginning of the series and then slowly disappeared by the end, what they used it for seemed to work well. Now saying that, I have to say how much I hate cg. I always thought it just wasn't necessary from the first time I ever saw it. Which was in avatar the last airbender. But anyway.
I just loved eden of the east. The combination of characters and stories and animation was just great chemistry. Man. The total series contain eleven episodes, along with two movies continuing from the episodes. The second movie is the true final ending. And while I want to spoil the ending, I wont ;) please enjoy this beautiful series, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment